The IAM Communications Department is continuously adapting to the needs of the IAM’s members, officers and staff. Everything we do is aimed at growing our union and the strength of our membership.
Our Mission is to ensure that IAM members and future members are informed, engaged and empowered
Below is a non-exhaustive list of what the IAM Communications Department does on a daily basis.
- Organizing and Negotiations Support: Provide communications strategy development and other resources, such as mass texting, needed to grow our union and our strength through collective bargaining.
- Video: Shoot, edit and post videos that tell our union’s story and engage our union and the public.
- Grand Lodge Convention: Integral part of planning and executing the Grand Lodge Convention, with responsibilities including, but not limited to the Ad Book, Officers’ Report, Convention videos, Event Staff, staging, speechwriting, website and mobile app.
- Web: Maintain goIAM.org and provide services to Local and District lodge websites across the union.
- iMail and Other Mass Email: Write, edit and send the IAM’s twice-weekly email newsletter, iMail. Also have responsibility for the Air Transport Territory Newswire, Rail Division emails, and the Machinists on the Hill political and legislative email newsletters.
- IAM Journal: Write, edit and design the IAM’s twice-annual flagship magazine, a member-centric publication that goes to every member in the United States. Request a physical copy of the IAM Journal
- Photography: Cover IAM and labor events with award-winning photography.
- Graphic Design: Produce print and online graphic design products used in organizing, negotiations and every facet of our union.
- Social Media: Maintain and plan content for the IAM’s most public facing outlets on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and more.
- Media Relations: Serve as chief spokespeople for media inquiries and promote positive coverage of the IAM, our issues and our members.
- Speech Writing: Write speech remarks for IAM leadership for both IAM and other events.
- Communications Training: Provide communications and web development classes to Local and District communicators at the Winpisinger Center.
- IAM Photo, Newsletter and Website Contest: These contests are open to all good-standing local and district lodges that regularly distribute official newsletters and/or maintain regularly updated websites, produce videos or post photographs. Visit the IAM Photo Contest, and the Newsletter and Website Contest websites for more information.
2024 IAM Calendar – Order Online Now