Western Territory Wins Historic Contracts in Three Bargaining Units

The Western Territory recently notched major bargaining victories, ratifying three collective bargaining agreements with General Dynamics NASSCO in San Diego, the City of Long Beach, and Sandia National Laboratories in New Mexico.

“These agreements are the culmination of tireless dedication of staff and representatives at all levels of the organization,” said Western Territory General Vice President Gary R. Allen. “The effort on display at these respective District and Local Lodges continue to prove that it truly does pay to belong to the Machinists Union.”

The new three-year agreement at Sandia National Laboratories, represented by Local Lodge 794 as an affiliate of the Metal Trades Council in Albuquerque, N.M., saw a general wage increase (GWI) of 3% for the first year plus an unprecedented 14% market adjustment, totaling a 17% increase in just the first year alone. The new agreement also comes with a 3% GWI in 2024 and 2025, respectively.

“Our bargaining committee overcame significant challenges and adversity in securing this agreement for our members,” said Gary E. Allen, Grand Lodge Representative and Chief Spokesperson for these negotiations. “In spite of the structural challenges of the Metal Trades Council, our members were able to come together and demand a fair agreement from their employer. Their effort and solidarity were monumental in securing this agreement.”

Long Beach City Employees, represented by Local Lodge 1930, also saw significant economic gains in their new agreement. Some classifications saw their pay jump as high as 26.25% in the first year of the contract when factoring in general wage increases and equity adjustments.

“Our members are charged with building a community at the City of Long Beach,” commented Chief Spokesperson and District Lodge 947 Business Representative Ashley Gunckel. “Some call this city home in addition to their employer. I am proud to see their effort and dedication reflected in this contract.”

In addition to general wage increases and equity adjustments, the bargaining committee was able to secure retention bonuses to honor members’ length of service with the City of Long Beach.

Local Lodge 389 members at General Dynamics NASSCO in San Diego saw a GWI of 8% for 2023, 4% for 2024, and 3% in 2025. Additionally, the bargaining committee was able to secure equity increases, with some classifications receiving as high as an 18.9% increase in the first year.

“Our bargaining committee showed tremendous resolve at the table,” reported Grand Lodge Representative and Chief Spokesperson Richard Suarez. “They held together and were able to deliver a contract that will secure the futures of our members’ families and strengthen the community of San Diego for generations to come.”

All of these agreements have been ratified by their respective memberships and carry three-year terms, expiring in 2025.


Share and Follow: