The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is closely monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus. This issue affects IAM, TCU-IAM, and NFFE-IAM members who work in many different employment sectors.
The IAM is providing vital information from the CDC and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) to ensure you are safe on the job and at home. Please ensure your employer provides you with the proper safety equipment to prevent exposure. If your employer refuses, please contact your union steward or union safety and health representative.
CDC: Guidance for healthcare professionals on human infections with Novel Coronavirus
OSHA: Information for workers and employers about the Novel Coronavirus
Coronavirus Prevention and Treatment
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- avoid close contact with people who are sick
- For information about handwashing, see CDC’s Clean Hands Save Lives!
If you have cold-like symptoms, you can help protect others by doing the following:
- stay home while you are sick
- avoid close contact with others
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands
- clean and disinfect objects and surfaces
Follow the IAM for continuous updates.
Follow the New York Times for Coronavirus live updates.